Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Super Stash

So I did the Super Bowl thing with the yarn and the sale and the freezing my a$$ off walking from the car to the shop. It was a thing I'd heard of for many years, and was curious to visit this particular yarn shop. It's taken me til today to say "OHMYGAWDWHATTHEHELLWASITHINKING!?"

So, because the shop was so tiny (2nd floor of a very old building), we had to wait out in the hallway in a snake line. This would have been okay if a) there was room for more than two people abreast in the hall, and b) I didn't feel like I wanted to know where all the fire escapes were. Am I stupid for waiting for an hour? Yeah, pretty much.

I guess it's a cute store. But there was one group of women (a group of three) who just rubbed me the wrong way. They were obviously looking for specific things, but they insisted on spreading out their coats, bags, and potential purchases all over the floor. Completely oblivious to anyone else needing floor space to, oh, I don't know, maybe WALK??? Then it was the whole Junior High routine - talk VERY loudly so not only does the whole store hear your conversation, but you've made conversation impossible for anyone else; then get in line behind one of them (the line also took 1/2 hour, even though I was the third one on line, because they HAND WROTE EVERY DAMN ORDER) and think "okay, I should be out pretty soon" when the other two members of this three-headed monster show up and chirp "thanks for holding our spot in line, babe!" and you know darn well they're not buying just a skein of Kid Silk Haze.

I knew exactly what I wanted. Ten skeins of Cascade 220. I have no idea if I got a good price or not. I don't know how much it is regularly, but I got 20% off. But I had to circumnavigate the "crew" who didn't respond to an "excuse me please" to try and even reach the spot on the wall where I could see it, but not touch it; I didn't really have a choice of color because the only thing they had 10 skeins of is what I took; and when I asked a shop worker for help she even had trouble finding where it was. I think it was a cute idea to have 20 - 50% and call them yard lines, and to have a room for the end zone. I might even have been persuaded to consider a knitting night there. But the clientelle I'm discussing (in a not-very-nice way) ARE PEOPLE WHO WORK THERE.

Sorry. Never again.

1 comment:

miss ewe said...

Drag. I hate that. I hated it in junior high and I don't tolerate it now. There are unfortunately a couple of yarn shops which I also boycott. Too bad there are some people who need to make themselves that "important". Glad you got some sweater yarn, though!!!