Saturday, December 30, 2006

Mornings Become Electrified

I've been working on lesson plans since 8:30 this morning, and I hear my second sock seductively calling me from the family room: "come play with me. I feel nice and soft, not like that hard keyboard you've been pounding."

My second cup of tea is kicking in, and I'm getting these plans to fall into place. I have several big units coming up, so I'm not doing the typical one-week lesson plan. This will be a large scope, general two month plan, broken down into pieces without specific dates, but ending up in the same place (we hope). Everytime I try to factor in a weekly time plan, there's holidays, assemblies, fire drills, lockdown drills, last-minute "oops my class can't come today" phone calls, and other such mayhem. When you only see your classes once a week, this doesn't make for smooth unit building!

In October we were off for two Mondays, then two of the classes had field trips. That means I only saw these classes ONCE during the entire month of October!

So I'm pretty charged up about this new way of writing the plans, and it's clearer for me, too - I'm not trying to balance out big pieces and hope (by luck) they all fall into place, but allowing myself some breathing room.

How pitiful is it that this is what's jazzing me on a Saturday morning???

No comments: