Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day: I'm at the top of the hill and gathering speed as I roll down

So, as a music teacher, May is always Spring concert time. Getting ready for that is no picnic, what with rehearsing 100 recorder students, a 35 member beginner band, and a 40 member regular band, but it always turns out great and this year was no exception. So, being absolutely normal, I decided to triple my fun!

I'm the guest conductor for a regional select band, and we've been rehearsing every week for five weeks. The dress rehearsal and concert is in two weeks.

I decided to do a concert with my little second graders, and that's involving LOTS of rehearsals not to mention LOTS of patience.

We always throw a huge backyard barbecue for Memorial Day after attending the service in town, and that is a LOT of work. (Note to self: stop capitalizing "lots" or find a different word.) However, we eat leftovers all week so that's not too bad.

DD#1 and #2 chorus concert is this Wednesday, and it's a biggy. Last one for #1, my HS senior. Then she turns 18 on Thursday, and goes to her senior prom on Friday. (Guess who got tagged for hosting the afterparty? Yeah.)

Then we have all the end of year activities at the school where I teach as well as for my own kids, and you can pretty well imagine what the June calendar in my kitchen looks like. Then my baby *graduates*, for Pete's sake, and life as I know it changes forever.

But yes, I have been knitting. I cast on with Shibu Knits in this beautiful honey/amber colorway, and I want to eat these socks.

I have stalled on the sweater. I had to rip back 17 rows to start the V-neck shaping, and I did it! No problems! You can't tell where I ripped it back, it came out so well! Except. . . . . (cue the ominous music). . . . . . I forgot to heed those words "at the same time" and forgot to shape for the underarm opening. I just stared at it for a little while, then quietly put it aside and said "I don't think I can look at this any more right now." I will experiment with ripping down the 8-10 stitches. Can you do that on the edge? Will it work? Tune in next time!!!

Hope your June is less hectic than mine is sure to be, and I hope you paused to remember and thank today.

No comments: